Malocclusions, also commonly referred to as “bad bites”, refer to misalignments and poor fits with your teeth and jaws. Malocclusions can be caused by a variety of factors, many of which are out of your control. Most malocclusions will need an orthodontic treatment to fix the ailment.
Do you know what the different types of malocclusions are? See the list below:
– Misplaced Midlines: The center of your upper incisors (front teeth) do not correctly align with the center of your lower incisors.
– Underbites: Also known as bulldog teeth. Your lower incisors protrude out further than the upper incisors.
– Crossbites: The lower jawbone protrudes out farther than the upper jawbone.
– Overbites: Also called upper protrusions or buck teeth. Your upper incisors protrude out farther than the lower incisors.
– Deep Bites: Also known as closed bites. Severe forms of overbites where the lower incisors dig into the area behind the upper incisors.
– Open Bites: Disconnected upper and lower incisors when biting down.
– Spacing Issues: Malocclusions that feature overcrowded teeth or large gaps between teeth.
– Transposition Malocclusions: Teeth erupt above the gum line in the wrong space.
– Rotation Malocclusions: Teeth that rotate out of their proper alignment.
If you would like to learn more about malocclusions, or to book an oral exam with Jacobsen Orthodontics, contact us at our orthodontic office in Victorville, California. Our number is 760-951-7752. Dr. Michael Jacobsen and our entire team look forward to your visit!