Braces are a form of orthodontic treatment designed to straighten teeth and make your daily oral health care habits easier to accomplish. Cleaning straight teeth is often much more effective than cleaning crooked or misaligned teeth because it is easier for food particles and bacteria to hide in between spaces that are hard to reach. If you have teeth overlapping each other, there could be spaces burrowed out that act like safe havens for plaque buildup to occur. Not only can braces improve your smile, but they can improve your oral health as well.
Do you need braces? Here are some common ailments that could warrant a set of braces:
– Crossbites are malocclusions that refer to the lower jawbone protruding further out than the upper jawbone.
– Deep bites, also known as closed bites, consist of extreme forms of overbites in which the lower incisors bite into the area behind the upper incisors.
– Underbites, also known as bulldog teeth, consist of the lower incisors protruding our further than the upper incisors.
– Some malocclusions consist of overcrowded teeth. In this case, there is not enough space between each tooth, causing potential hazards, with bends and curvatures often taking place. Spacing issues can also refer to too much space between the teeth, causing uncharacteristically large gaps to appear.
– Overbites, also known as upper protrusions, overjets, or buck teeth, consist of the upper incisors (front teeth) protruding our further than the lower incisors.
– Misplaced midlines are malocclusions referring to when the center of your incisors fails to properly line up with the center of your lower incisors.
– Open bites are malocclusions comprising of the disconnected top and bottom incisors when biting down.
– Various other types of malocclusions consist of extra or missing teeth, various types of rotation issues, and transposition malocclusions.
If you have a misalignment issue and are looking for orthodontic treatments, you can contact Jacobsen & Maleeh Orthodontics to schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael Jacobsen. We can be reached by calling us at 760-951-7752 or stopping by our office in Victorville, California. It’s never too late to repair your smile!